Paladin Shoulderpads Mk I
I’ve sort of been on a wee bit of a cosplay hiatus for a few weeks after coming back from London Super Comic Con (pictures are still being uploaded to the gallery, by the way) while I’ve been getting back to editing and uploading material for my youtube channel. And finally starting Dragon Age: Inquisition. *cough*
Though, the other day I decided I wanted to play around a little bit with foam and after watching Evil Ted‘s video on how to make shoulderpads and bracers in foam I decided I’d try my hands at making a “first draft” of the shoulderpads for my Draenei Paladin Theary cosplay.
So, following Evil Ted’s tutorial, I made an outline of my own head and shoulder to work of off, grabbed my tracing paper that’s been lying forlorn in my art heap and got to sketching out the entire shoulderpad onto that.
As the first try I then took another sheet of tracing paper and traced the undermost plate on the shoulderpad, cut that out and traced it onto foam. I then heat formed the foam a bit and glued it together. Sadly the glue I have lying around is terrible, so the seams split apart somewhat at the top.
As you can see the first try both worked, and didn’t.
First and foremost I somehow divided the shoulderpad into totally the wrong segments, so this is pretty much a mashup of the undermost and center bits. In addition, I got the angle on the lower bit completely wrong.
So, back to the original drawing, this time taking three sheets of tracing paper and outlined one part of the shoulderpad on each and cut it out (making sure I got the right parts in the right order this time), and re-traced each pattern onto a sturdier piece of paper to make it easier on myself.
Oh, and if you’re going to try this yourself at some point, remember the registration marks (the little lines that show where it’s supposed to line up)!
It’s hell if it warps when you’re trying to line it up unless you have them.
Then it was back to the foam, I traced each pattern piece twice onto the foam (the pattern only shows one half, remember), and a trick there is to flip the pattern, that way you’ll get the smooth side out on both pieces. Sort of like when you’re cutting out cloth patterns, really.
These shoulderpads have some tricky stuff that’s hard to cut out with a hobby knife (some of the curves and those round holes are hellish). My salvation will likely be cutting them a bit rough then sanding them down with a dremel once I go for making the final product. After cutting, I heat formed them over my knee as that was the only round thing I had close by that I could use.
I glued one piece at a time which was a bit more time consuming but safer than trying to put glue on all pieces and have them try to stay upright while waiting for the glue to dry. I used Biltema’s contact cement, which as mentioned above is not the best contact cement out there. It’s somewhat visible in some photos that the seams tend to pop open a little bit and the glue just sort of “stretches out” in the seam which got me a bit annoyed. But I’ll be trying to see what other brands of contact cement I can find once I get some money again.
And this is the result of the first proper try on making Theary’s shoulderpad!
It turned out a little bit “flat” in terms of the side view, I will need to try to get the sides to lay more downwards instead of sticking out. That may just be that I didn’t heat form each layer enough though, so I’m going to try to do that next time. You can also clearly see how badly the glue stretched in the seams as well here, so hoping to be able to find a brand that doesn’t do that.
So, I got a few notes on the patterns, but overall I think it turned out alright for a first try!
Hopefully I’ll have a little bit of money left after paying my bills next week so I can hunt for another type of glue and possibly buy another pack of foam so I can continue these experiments soon. =D